Re: Oracle stored procedures vs Running from a flat .sql file

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 19:16:47 -0800

Karsten Farrell wrote:

> Martin Doherty wrote:
> > Alex Filonov wrote:
> >
> >> However, in most cases you need to modify stored objects in order to
> >> debug.
> >>
> > That's often because the people who code the stored procedures generally
> > do not prepare well for the inevitable debugging phase.
> >
> > Martin Doherty
> >
> How very true that is!
>
> I remember back in the early 1960s wishing some Fortran programmer had
> added a few debugging print() statements in their mega-line program ...
> or maybe just a smattering of comments to let me know what's going on.
>
> I remember back in the early 1970s wishing some Cobol programmer had
> added a few debugging display statements in their mega-line program ...
> or maybe just a smattering of comments to let me know what's going on.
>
> I remember back in ... well you get my drift. Now it's a new century and
> we've got stored procedures ... but the original developers still code
> as if there'll never be a change made to their wonderful work of art.
>
> Maybe that's why developers always want to work on the latest technology
> ... that way they don't have to face the problems that production
> (maintenance) developers face trying to patch up their unreadable code.
> Fortunately for my sanity, I'm out of that side of the business. :)

And the cause today is the same as the cause 30 years ago. We have a profession in which there are no standards.

Companies, looking at failed IT projects flail around looking for offshore coders, etc. rather than recognizing that the problem is that they enforce near zero quality control beyond "does it crash and burn." Instead of the irresponsible or incompetent developers being shown to the door, all developers are suffering lower income and lower job security. We are letting the bad apples spoil our barrel.

Daniel Morgan Received on Wed Jan 08 2003 - 21:16:47 CST