Re: dbms_jobs versus cron

From: Paul Brewer <paul_at_paul.brewers.org.uk>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 19:25:12 -0000

"Jim Kennedy" <kennedy-down_with_spammers_at_attbi.com> wrote in message news:6tVS9.480284$pN3.52315_at_sccrnsc03...
> I agree with Jan. I have been using it for many years since 7.1. Never
had
> a problem. The nice thing is that it works no matter what OS Oracle is
on.
> Same code works for Oracle on NT, Solaris, HPUX, AIX etc.
> Jim

PMFJI. As far as I am concerned, cron and database jobs are both excellent tools, which work fine and are (like most powerful tools) capable of really being put to good use or of being woefully abused through ignorance.

But surely they are for *different things*?

cron is for OS jobs, database jobs are for (guess what...database jobs!).

For example:

   to schedule exports/backups/sqlldr/startup/shutdown - use cron    to schedule replication/optimiser stats/audit trail purge - use db jobs.

Regards,
Paul Received on Wed Jan 08 2003 - 13:25:12 CST