Re: Guidelines for using Oracle 9i Object Relational Features

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 13:07:51 -0800

"S.T.Arun" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to know if there is anyone who has used Oracle's Object
> relational Features in a live project. If so, I would like to have
> some guidelines on do's and don'ts, the problem faced, solutions to
> them (if they exist!!). Most important of all the performance
> comparision between using ORDBMS and RDBMS.
>
> We are to propose the usage of Oracle 9i Database with OO
> implementation using Pro*C/C++ and Java. Any help in this regard
> would be great.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards
> Arun

I would stay as far away from OO in the database as you can.

OO databases, as can be clearly seen by their less-than-impressive marketshare were all marketing hyperbole except in a few limited applications. The syntax more difficult. The performance nothing to note. It is one thing to use OO techniques in your front end but they don't really belong in the back unless there is a compelling reason.

And in the case of writing against a database you should not be putting any SQL into the front-end unless the object of your development is to make something difficult to tune, difficult to upgrade, and a monster to debug. Don't believe me? Ask people here how much they love Siebel and PeopleSoft.

Daniel Morgan Received on Wed Jan 08 2003 - 15:07:51 CST