Money is a great thing, but strong ethic is better (I think, but Oracle not)

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 8 Jan 2003 07:16:27 -0800

We're preparing implementation of new server. This server is from database point of view very simple. Just small databases with only moderate load and no advanced features will be used. The size of solution is so small that we only plan to use dual CPU unit. So this is just small system and Oracle Standard Edition would perfectly suit our needs.
The problem is that as server we will use one SF6800 domain, because of clustering and also because we have one SF6800 with free place for another domain. SF6800s are almost high end solution, so each domain is expandable up to 16 CPUs. You have probably got clue about our problem now.
Money thirsty Oracle in its license terms are saying that: The Oracle Database Standard Edition can only be licensed on servers that have a *maximum capacity* of 4 processors.

So we cannot use for this very simple application Standard Edition, but must go to much more expensive EE, even if we do not need any of advanced features of EE. In our particular case this simple sentence would cost as more than 100.000$ for dual CPU server with clustered backup.
Am I only one who think that this is very unfair? I can understand limitation for SE on CPUs used, but maximum server CPU capacity has no other logical explanation than robbing Oracle's customers. I think that with this one Oracle even defeated Microsoft in most unfavorable behaviour to its customers. I can see for maybe last two years that Oracle attitude to its consumers drastically change and now it is just: get how much money you can and take no care about that guy. However this one is probably still the worst one. What has size of case around CPUs common with using SE/EE probably knows only that guy who wrote this. Funny is that worse box which offer with same performance lower expansion possibilites than other is better to run Oracle software now. :-)

Am I the only one with this feeling about Oracle's behaviour to its customers in last few years? I do now want to start flames, and I'm very positive about Oracle's products and their qualities, but this one just got me.

Moral implication at the end: We will probably use DB2 for this application. I've never thought that I as long time Oracle fan will support implementing DB2 in our company. :-(

Dusan Bolek, Ing.
Oracle team leader

Note: pagesflames_at_usa.net has been cancelled due to changes (maybe we
can call it an overture to bankruptcy) on that server. I'm still using
this email to prevent SPAM. Maybe one day I will change it and have a
proper mail even for news, but right now I can be reached by this
email.