archivelog or not

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 12:28:57 -0000

Morning,

the size of the archived log files will be the same as the on-line log files as theyare simply a copy taken when each of the on-line logs fills up and is switched from.

As for the maximum amount you can have, this depends upon your free disc space in the LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST folder. You are able to archive these off to tape, or CD etc and delete them (having verifid the copy) from disc to reduce the amount of space used.

I keep a minumum of 4 days of archived logs in the LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST location 'just in case' but copy the entire lot to tape every night. That way, if I do have to go back a couple of days, I can recover from the files that are still on disc without having to get them back from the off-site storage.

Cheers,
Norman.

Norman Dunbar
Database/Unix administrator