Re: corrupt datafile

From: Peter van Rijn <p.vanrijnREMOVE_at_THISzhew.nl>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 12:40:03 +0100

> >You are correct. However, when I worked as an Oracle consultant for a
> >very brief time (didn't like the 100% travel), every consultant was
> >given a Toshiba laptop loaded with Oracle-supplied tools and utilities
> >... and guess what we found in one of the folders on that laptop?
> >
> >Yes, it is a Support tool ... but we all knew what it was and what it
> >was suposedly capable of doing. And if I had used it to rescue a
> >customer's data ... well, let's just say that my upline manager would
> >have received a bonus on his next paystub ... and wouldn't have been
> >very willing to split hairs over who officially "owned" the code. I
> >never did use it, however, so I can't speak for its real-life
effectiveness.

> Well, it's never been on any laptop Oracle gave me, so I think SUpport
must have
> fgound out about it and pulled it back. Probably more important is the
> realization people should have that this tool is an absolute last resort,
and
> there are multiple other ways of getting data back before resorting to
DUL.

> And yes, Bernard still works in Support.

I worked for three years for Support in The Netherlands and we didn't get DUL on our (Dell!) laptops either. I don't think there has ever been an official policy of providing the tool to every Consultant. If ever DUL was needed by a customer one of the Support analysts would take it to the customer, use it and remove it from the system again.

Peter Received on Wed Jan 08 2003 - 05:40:03 CST