Re: Comparison of Java, C# for development on Windows and future for them

From: Mark Thornton <m.p.thornton_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 09:54:44 -0000

"Tim Ward" <tw2_at_ipaccess.com> wrote in message news:avgrds$f4jqm$1_at_ID-154437.news.dfncis.de...
> "Belinda" <belindacur_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >
> > But right now my only
> > development platform will be Windows. I am supposed to make this
> > decision for my company I am free to choose C# or Java.
>
> As long as you are sure you only need to target Windows:
>
> One issue is that Java apps look like Java apps, even with the Windows
> look-and-feel set. So if you want to build things that look like proper
> Windows GUI applications don't choose Java.

A growing number of 'Windows applications' written with other tools don't look like standard Windows GUI applications either. It seems to be the done thing for media players for example to be as different as possible from the normal conventions. So whether the relatively minor deviations exhibited by typical Java applications are important will depend on the target market. In any case will the user notice or care that an app is different because it was written in Java compared with countless other applications which are different just because the author has a wierd sense of style.

Having said that I would like Swing applications to more closely match the current Windows GUI standard ... if only we could tie down what it actually is.

Mark Thornton Received on Wed Jan 08 2003 - 03:54:44 CST