Re: What's best - to resize datafiles or add new ones?

From: Kenneth Koenraadt <plovmand_at_mail-online.dk>
Date: 7 Jan 2003 13:26:43 -0800

Hi Richard,

Choose an appropriate maxumum size for your datafiles and don't let the datafiles exceed that max. size. When ( or rather : *before* -) ) a tablespace runs full, add new datafiles.

Like this :

   Create tablespace mytbs datafile
'C:\ORACLE\ORADATA\DB1\mytbs_001.dbf' size 128M autoextend on next 128M maxsize 2048M;

When the datafile extends and gets near the max. of 2048M, you add another one :

   Alter tablespace mytbs add datafile
'C:\ORACLE\ORADATA\DB1\mytbs_002dbf' size 128M autoextend on next 128M maxsize 2048M;

Which maxsize is appropriate is up to you and your operating system, but it should of course not exceed the max. file size of your O/S. Also remember that very large files can be awkward to handle regarding backup, file distribution over disks, disk fragmentation a.o.

A very common maxsize is 2 Gb. For the reasons given above, I would not recommend you a maxsize > 2Gb.