Re: External tables and compressed files

From: SA <sadenwala_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 7 Jan 2003 06:50:05 -0800

Mark and Jonathan,

I did a test on few of our tables, and the compression ratio is not too good. So coming back to what Jonathan suggested, I would like to know in little more detail as to how I would use the 1st alternative. If I start a pipe, when the machine shutsdown for maintainance, the pipe would go away, so will I need to start a pipe every time machine reboots?

Also, Jonathan suggests to avoid external tables completely and use sql loader. Can you please tell me in very short how this can be done, I would really appreciate it.

thanks again for your input.

S. Adenwala