Re: using rman

From: Igor <imerku_at_acegas.ts.it>
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2003 14:37:03 +0100

Detlef Jockheck wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to use rman (first time). Is there a short description available
> what I need to do to make a backup with rman?

Hallo Detlef, einen schoenen guten Tag,

IMHO: don't.
IMHO you better write a shell script that does all the work "by hand", that is a hot backup of your db onto direct attached tape or via storage manager software (like Archserve, Tivoli Storage Manager or else). Have you considered, that for using rman you have to run another db (the db for rman). Have you considered, that rman db has to be backed up, too? So, why backup two db's (instead of one), use an interface tool, when you can do it with a script where you EXACTLY know what it does?

Right, I am not saying the product does not work or is bad. All I say is, that there is another slice of software between I consider not really necessary.

Consider ...

Have a nice day,
Best regards,
Igor Received on Tue Jan 07 2003 - 07:37:03 CST