Re: Oracle stored procedures vs Running from a flat .sql file

From: John Russell <netnews4_at_johnrussell.mailshell.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2003 04:06:07 GMT

On 07 Jan 2003 12:13:35 +1100, Tim X <timx_at_spamto.devnul.com> wrote:
>> You can't expect every log to be not bigger than 1M (DBMS_OUTPUT
>> restriction). BTW, if you ever read DBMS_OUTPUT documentation, it's
>> recommended for DEBUG PURPOSES EXCLUSIVELY and not recommended for
>> reporting.
>
>Agreed. I thought exactly the same thing when I saw the original post
>- dbms_output is really only useful for debugging and even then its
>usefulness is fairly limited. However, you could use pipes or write
>the status info to a log table and access that.

Well, I considered that the kind of output we were talking about is debugging -- "About to load data... OK", etc.

One technique I use lately is to hook my stored procedure up as a web page that displays HTML via the HTP package. My Perl script reads the web page (firing the procedure and grabbing the output) via Perl's LWP package. The script parses out just a couple of tidbits of information, e.g.

while the human-readable version of the page (that I could check from any place with a browser) might display a more comprehensive, formatted version of the same information. Received on Mon Jan 06 2003 - 22:06:07 CST