Unable to extend temp on non temp tablespace

From: Rick Denoire <100.17706_at_germanynet.de>
Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2003 23:52:39 +0100

Hello

In the past weeks I am getting following message in the alert.log:

ORA-1652: unable to extend temp segment by 131072 in tablespace ALL_INDEX I don't understand why a temp segment won't be created in the TEMP tablespace, since this tablespace has been set als default temp tablespace for all users. And what are the size units used here? Should I read 131072 MB or KB or what? Anyway, I am surprised since there are several GB free in the ALL_INDEX tablespace. I am wondering if there is no chunk of continuous free space big enough to allocate 131072 whatever-Bytes.

The ALL_INDEX tablespace consists of 5 files, four of them are 5 GB in size, the fifth is 28 GB. Although of these 28 GB only about 16 are shown as "used" by the OEM, the file cannot be shrinked down to a smaller size. Is there a way to "free" a db file in order to make it smaller or to get rid of it?

Using Oracle 8.1.7 on Solaris 7/Sun E450.

Thanks a lot
Rick Denoire Received on Sun Jan 05 2003 - 16:52:39 CST