Re: One vs many databases

From: Wanderley <wces123_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2003 05:09:43 GMT

There's a limit where "many" is "too much". But if we're talking about a handful of systems, it may make sense to house them in separate databases. There's no simple answer. The way the original question was posted, I don't think any of us know enough about John's systems to use "never" or "always" in our replies.

If the applications are different in their resource requirements, a good way to protect one application from the other's work cycle is to separate them. Otherwise you'll spend the rest of your life apologizing for payroll running slow whenever your accounting dept is reporting on the general ledger.

You can tune some databases for OLTP (say, help desk, PO) and others for batch (payroll, accounting).

Furthermore, if you have a corrupted SYSTEM tablespace, only one of your databases needs recovery. It's the difference between any DBA task affecting 10% of the company versus affecting the whole company.

Sometimes I find it much easier to manage a few databases than just one (again, there's a number where "a few" is "too much"). Because if you have all your systems in one database, a single bad-performing query can generate two dozen phone calls. To your extension.

In a way, DBAs also have to manage people's fears and expectations. The best DBAs I know take the time to keep their users (the real owners of the databases) appraised of all problems, issues and trends. And this is a much easier thing to do if you don't have to broadcast every single problem to the whole company.