Re: Oracle stored procedures vs Running from a flat .sql file

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2003 09:32:42 -0800

computer person wrote:

> Does anyone know what the advantages are to using stored procedures and java
> stored procedures over and above running from flat unix files.
>
> I find that since our application is all stored in the database it is harder
> to understand when something goes wrong with it. The traditional way to
> running a job stream is to have a unix script with steps in it. The way this
> application is set up is to run everything as one long call from a stored
> procedure.
>
> Anyone have experiences with this? The develepers have gone as far as
> reading and writing files using the UTIL_FILE package instead of doing this
> with a ksh. This has caused a great deal of effort for debugging at the unix
> level because they can't even tell me (as the Unix System admin) if there is
> a permission problem with the files it tries to access when the application
> fails.. It's all guess work to fix something..

Congratulations to your developers. They are doing things the right way for security, scalability, performance, and error handling.

No insult intended but my guess is that you are very much like the guy that only has a hammer that sees every problem as a nail.

Either learn Oracle or leave your Oracle developers and DBAs alone. There is almost nothing you can do with a Korn Shell Script they can't do better within the database. And if you want me to exapand on that I gladly will. But for one classic example ... error logs in the database can be easily used to develop statistical reports. Error logs in the shell are unavailable to everyone except you. And you'd look pretty funny doing a trend report of problems this quarter vs. problems last quarter.

Daniel Morgan
http://www.outreach.washington.edu/extinfo/certprog/oad/oad_crs.asp Received on Sat Jan 04 2003 - 11:32:42 CST