Oracle 8i + changing language

From: Ed_Zep <ed_zep_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2003 02:04:37 -0000

Hi.

I have to change the character set of the databases at our university from US7ASCII so that we can print European accents on letters. Eg. ç, è, etc. This has to include western and central/eastern European.

My questions are:

  1. Can I have WEISO... and EEISO... on the same database at the same time?
  2. If so, what's the best way of doing this? Do I need to export, recreate the db. and import having changed the character set i the crdb####.sql file? I tried this, but had problems. Is it possible to have a script that rebuilds the database without data and then I can do the import?

I know Oracle 8i has a utility to change the character set without having to rebuild the db. Has anyone used it? Should I use it?

Many thanks in advance.

Happy New Year.

Ed. Received on Fri Jan 03 2003 - 20:04:37 CST