Re: One vs many databases

From: Ban Spam <ban-spam_at_operamail.com>
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2003 01:48:54 GMT

"John Hunter" <jthunter_at_nbnet.nospam.nb.ca> wrote in news:qufR9.3254$Hs3.402088_at_ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca:

> Hi Gang,
>
> I'm looking at submitting a business case to management that will
> justify changing from our current structure of many oracle databases
> to one big database. We currently run many separate databases
> (financial, sales, purchases etc...) all based on functional areas.
> These are all inhouse written systems. My problem with having all
> these instances is with trying to link data together. We need to have
> realtime data shared amonst the systems. Dblinks are quite slow and
> although materialized views have lots to offer they consume a fair
> amount of overhead.
>
> Anyway, I've done some web searches looking for the pros and cons of
> many instances vs. one instance and have yet to find a good whitepaper
> on this subject. I did read through the long (70 or so posts) when
> someone said they were going to install 50 instances on one host, but
> it didn't really answer the question.
>
> Thanks,
> -John

I suspect that not all of these databases are written inhouse. In other words some are purchased/leased third party applications. What happens in the case where there is a single large database and vendor A says that his DB must run using the CBO while inhouse apps must run using CBO; because of partitioning & such? How do you resolve version incompatibility issues. The one big database DEMANDS that each & every application upgrade to the next version of Oracle on the same day!

I for one would NOT want to support this monster. Received on Fri Jan 03 2003 - 19:48:54 CST