Re: Outrage that OCP exams are now unproctored - Comments?

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 3 Jan 2003 16:00:41 -0800

Noons <nsouto_at_optusnet.com.au.nospam> wrote in message news:<Xns92F910731F4A9mineminemine_at_210.49.20.254>...
> joel-garry_at_home.com (Joel Garry) wrote in
> news:91884734.0301021727.217124df_at_posting.google.com and I quote:
>

> > regulations requiring the use of Oracle in government computers. To
> > work on these, you must be vetted as having experience and/or
> > education and/or certification. So there alone, Oracle must be held
> > to a higher standard. Cynicism about _lower_ standard aside, of
> > course.
>
> What form of certification/experience? Is there a defined
> standard/target? I'm interested. Where I am right now I have a small
> chance of slightly influencing this type of stuff for the better in
> Australian government, so any info is most welcome.

It's been a while, so I'm rusty in the details. But suffice it to say, it is the worst of the "certification being more important than ability to do the job" issue.

There have been a number of lies-on-resumes scandals lately of some fairly well known education and government people. A real problem with certification and analysing whether someone can do the job is the inability to factor in human variance and frailties.

"In business, the worst SOB wins." Joseph Kennedy (paraphrased), one of the biggest SOB's, which is why he was able to be a really good SEC boss. He knew all of the dirty tricks.

> > Would that be a SET NOON reference? :-)
> >

> :D
> Nope. Just what my friends call me.
> Nuno is too hard to pronounce correctly,
> so they give up and use "noons".
>

> > Malpractice insurance is a very dirty word among US doctors these
> > days.
>

> That is a disadvantage of the proper recognition...

In this case, it is a disadvantage of a psychotic liability system.

> > Well with Boeing laying off 30000 workers in Washington State, and Mr.
> > Morgan training them all, what's to think about? Lotsa cheap labor...
>

> Hmm, was that IT workers?
> I know what you mean, of course. But give it another
> gulf war^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hfour or five years and IT
> will have recovered. By then there will be a few well
> trained people around and none coming out of the pipeline
> of training and a lot of the prior "colleagues" moved on.

My view is probably skewed from my experience, but I think most places still don't care about the well-trained and are willing to settle for cheap.

> Then it's gonna be fun to watch the "paradigm shift"
> yet again. Sometimes I think that what this industry needs
> is a purge of the layers of middle management rather than
> the "colleagues". After all, they are the ones that caused
> the situation we're in in the first place. Only then can
> we be reasonably safe this non-sense won't be repeated.

This purge happened a few years ago in the US, and there is a bit of a backlash now. I think the non-sense will be repeated ad infinitum, with larger swings as technology becomes more pervasive - people will continue to confuse technology with usefulness.

> > The revolution will not be streamed!
> >

> Right! Against the wall, you lot!!!
> :D

I still think de Sade had it right.