Re: One vs many databases

From: Anton Buijs <aammbuijs_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 20:17:52 +0100

These are a few of my considerations

Don't store applications in one database that don't have anything in common: a. when upgrading both applications must upgrade at the same time b. maintenance for one application (where you really want to close access to the db completely) could imply unnecessary downtime for the other application
c. when the database needs to be restored completely (because one application screwed up the data in a yearly batch or so or block corruptions occur and the db runs in noarchivelog mode) the other applications loose data too.
Not that these circumstances occur a lot but...

Store applications in one database when they share data (replication, database links) or are closely related in a way. a. makes recovery scenarios easier. If in multiple db's an incomplete recovery of one of them implies a restore of other db's too to keep the data consistent between applications.
b. can only be done when all object names in the applications are unique (or: this is a chance to make one copy of that table that both applications share).
c. be sure the have solid authorisation setup and procedures in place to prevent unwanted access to data of other applications in the db.

John Hunter <jthunter_at_nbnet.nospam.nb.ca> schreef in berichtnieuws qufR9.3254$Hs3.402088_at_ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca...