Re: Outrage that OCP exams are now unproctored - Comments?

From: Bert Bear <bertbear_at_NOSPAMbertbear.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2003 03:21:31 GMT

Daniel,

You mean something like:

select empno, ename, dname from dept d, emp e where d.deptno = e.deptno; OR select empno, ename, dname, loc from dept d inner join emp e on e.deptno = d.deptno;

and

select empno, ename, dname, loc from dept d, emp e where e.deptno(+) = d.deptno; OR select empno, ename, dname, loc from dept d left outer join emp e on e.deptno = d.deptno;

To be more serious, apprenticeships have their values as if you value the Master who "graduates" the person then you have a GREAT certification.

hmmm, maybe what we start to needs is the: comp.database.oracle certification

You need to spend two years in apprenticeship to Daniel or other DBA we know is good. If they give you their blessing, you get the certification.

Maybe Oracle needs to start an apprenticeship. Work for Oracle for free (or minimum wage or pay Oracle like people pay colleges) for two years. Hey, it might make more money for Oracle than the OCP. Maybe I should shutup before it happens. ;-)

Bert.

"DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message news:3E136318.E19B179A_at_exesolutions.com...
> "Howard J. Rogers" wrote:
>
> > But, mentioning no-one specifically in particular, when a self-professed
> > DBA, claiming two versions' certification, can't even understand the
> > difference between redo log multiplexing and redo log mirroring and
> > demonstrates as much in postings to this newsgroup; or can't even read
the
> > Oracle documentation properly where the difference (and the preference)
is
> > pointed out in words of not very many more than one syllable; well, what
> > does that tell you about the value of the OCP?
> >
> > So much for a "rounded" education.
> >
> > Personally, if a person doesn't know how to do a block dump and
interpret
> > the results properly, s/he shouldn't call himself/herself a DBA. And if
> > there's one thing you won't learn on any OCP-based Oracle training
course,
> > it's how to do a block dump.
> >
> > HJR
> >
> > "Bert Bear" <bertbear_at_NOSPAMbertbear.net> wrote in message
> > > Noons,
> > >
> > > At a minimum an OCP shows the person has enough interest in being a
DBA to
> > > get a rounded Oracle education.
> > >
> > > At this point in time, anyone (e.g. an used car salesman) can say
hmmm,
> > what
> > > might pay better and start calling himself an Oracle DBA.
> > >
> > > When I see an used car salesman who passed these test it shows me,
that
> > this
> > > used car salesman AT LEAST:
> > >
> > > 1) Read the manuals (or paid for an Oracle class or two) .vs. the
other
> > > used car salesman who didn't
> > > 2) Retained enough information to pass the exams
> > > 3) Show enough interest in being an Oracle to take the time to study
and
> > > pass the exams .vs. the other used car salesman who didn't.
> > >
> > > IMHO, an OCP is one of many things you must take into consideration
when
> > > choosing an employee. It is NOT a golden key to the Oracle DBA
washroom.

> > > I can only speak from personal experience. After working with Oracle
> > > products (DBA, OAS, Applications, etc.) for 5 years, I found getting
the
> > OCP
> > > helped me round out my knowledge of the Oracle database. Studying for
it
> > > helped me cover areas my management never needed me to cover. As one
> > person
> > > said (in another thread), management normally upgrades for support
(not
> > the
> > > new features, which they might never use). He went on to say many
> > software
> > > products still only use Oracle 7 features and nothing more. By having
an
> > > OCP, I know the person has at least an interest beyond saying "I have
an
> > > interest." He should also have a general, detailed understanding of
the
> > > Oracle database.
> > >
> > > Bertram Moshier
> > > Oracle Certified Professional 8i and 9i DBA
> > >
> > > http://www.bmoshier.net/bertram
> > >

> > > "Noons" <nsouto_at_optusnet.com.au.nospam> wrote in message

> It is worse than you think Howard.
>
> Last year I inteviewed someone that is an employee of the City of Seattle.
This