Re: Outrage that OCP exams are now unproctored - Comments?

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 09:42:07 +1100

"Niall Litchfield" <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com> wrote in message news:3e136b64$0$226$cc9e4d1f_at_news.dial.pipex.com...
> "Bert Bear" <bertbear_at_NOSPAMbertbear.net> wrote in message
[big snip]

> If this line of argument has any merit (and despite Howard's injunctions
> against posting experience)

Er, I don't ever recall injuncting anything along those lines.

What I object to is the *parading* of experience, as if that meant the content of one's posts was inevitably correct and beyond reproach. Or the flaunting of large amounts of (what turns out to be totally irrelevant) experience, and then *still* making basic errors of principle.

You've never done that Niall. As the continuation of your paragraph shows, you quote experience when it's germane to the point being made.

>I am both a part-qualified ACA and an OCP which
> I hope gives me some insight, then we should be moving away from software
> features based testing to testing and developing professional IT skills.
> Things I'd suggest (from a DBA view point) would include
>
> Database Design
> Physical Storage characteristics
> Security principles
> Set Operations vs Procedural Loops and when to use which.
> Backup Principles
> What is a transaction?
> Change Management
> SQL
> The development lifecycle

Well, as a member of the Australian Computer Society, these are exactly the sorts of things you get examined in prior to acquiring membership. There are several written papers, and if memory serves, not a multi-choice/multi-guess paper amongst them.

I'm positive the British Computer Society has the same sort of membership requirements.

There *are* industry recognised *professional* qualifications out there. But OCP isn't one of them.

Regards
HJR