Running stored procedures/Java code in oracle 8i on AIX

From: Computer Person <xx_at_xx.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 22:17:34 GMT

Hi,

We have an application that has been written with a combination of Stored procedures and Java code (also in database). When the code is launched it apparently runs under the oracle userid so any files that the code manipulates has to be accessible to the oracle userid not the user who launched the process.

What I am trying to understand is why the code uses the authority of the Unix oracle userid to read/write files. Second, now that we have recognized this behaviour we have made sure that the oracle userid can access the files but we found that the behaviour of the unix oracle security setup does not work correctly when files are accessed via stored procedures or java stored procedures.

It is kind of hard to explain but I will try.. We have a filesystem, lets call it /data..Here is how it is setup at the AIX level:

/data with owner jblow and group dba and perms rwxrwxr-x. The oracle user is
setup with primary group of oinstall and groups=dba,oinstall.

When a java program or stored procedure tries to update anything in the
/data filesystem it gets a permission denied. If I open up the perms to
rwxrwxrwx than it has no problems updating. The oracle userid (when used from a stored procedure) does not seem to be using the O/S security setup for the group. Since the filesystem and directory is owned by group dba and oracle has this group why would it not be able to update the files??

When we logon directly from the AIX oracle userid and use vi or whatever to update files we have no problem in /data with perms rwxrwxr-x. This is pointing to the fact that under oracle stored procedures or java inside oracle the behaviour is showing a bug?

Anyone seen this problem before. We are AIX 4.3.3 and Oracle 8.1.7 (8i)..

THANKS! Received on Tue Dec 31 2002 - 16:17:34 CST