Re: Java to die in 2003

From: John Russell <netnews4_at_johnrussell.mailshell.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 21:44:44 GMT

On 30 Dec 2002 19:45:04 -0800, simonlenn_at_yahoo.com (Simon Lenn) wrote:

>a company like Oracle could have
>easily extended PL/SQL and a powerful scripting language like Perl/PHP
>to deliver a true cross platform open language.

I've seen PL/SQL get more Perl-like features for the last several releases now, such as associative arrays. There are others that people don't really think much about, like the ability to do "<<HERE"-like prints:

htp.p('
<h1>Heading</h1>
<ul>
<li>List item
</ul>

');

It can also be the basis for easy dynamic web pages via PL/SQL server pages.

<% results_of_stored_procedure() %>
<% for item in (select ...) loop... %>

I never write Perl CGIs anymore.

As "scripting" usually implies calls to arbitrary executables, I don't know if it would ever be a contender there -- security eh?

John Received on Tue Dec 31 2002 - 15:44:44 CST