Re: Java to die in 2003

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 15:53:56 -0000

"Simon Lenn" <simonlenn_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:3641e2c2.0212301945.1d3bdcec_at_posting.google.com...
> Hi
>
> I think the track as been lost. If the thread is clearly followed the
> very fact Oracle supports Java stored procedures is to replace PL/SQL
> it is clear very clear.

It is certainly not clear to me. Java Stored Procedures would be appropriate when what you want to accomplish is beyond PL/SQL, for example UTL_TCP and UTL_SMTP use Java inside the database. PL/SQL is appropriate for traditional DB stored procedures involving data manipulation. Java adds functionality it doesn't replace PL/SQL and isn't going to any time soon. See http://www.oracle.com/oramag/oracle/99-Sep/index.html?59prim.html for an outline of this.

> The feeling was PL/SQL was proprietary,
> procedural and not OO and Java was non-proprietary, Open, OO language
> hence Oracle strategically embraced moving to Java both for inside
> Database and outside database (read inside database as Stored
> procedures which was PL/SQL turf).

Oh do come off it. Oracle isn't an open source company, isn't an OO company and doesn't make Open or Object Oriented products. It makes standards based products which is an entirely different thing.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA