Re: ORA-00600 ... more exactly (from a newbee)

From: Frank <fbortel_at_home.nl>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 16:45:04 +0100

Dusan Bolek wrote:
> Frank <fbortel_at_home.nl> wrote in message news:<3E0DDA81.5040204_at_home.nl>...
>

>>As posted  -but the infamous 600 is something like
>>"well, we're having a serious problem for which we haven't
>>assigned a proper error code yet".

> I think that it's more like "well, we're having problem for which we
> forgot to create error message". ORA-0600 may not be serious at all,
> especially in 8i there is a lot of really dump errors generating
> ORA-0600 errors just because someone forgot to name them.
> It seems to me that much of those were corrected in 9i (9.2), where a
> lot of famous ORA-0600s are generating correct error code now. That's
> a good message, because, especially for beginners, getting ORA-0600
> was very puzzling and I can imagine a lot of senseless calls to Oracle
> support.

I did not say, nor intended "we (oracle) forgot to assign...". I said, for which no proper code is assigned yet. I have seen the odd bug report or two stating a particular 600 [] [] [] error should have another, properly documented error code. And yes, a lot of senseless calls would be made to support, as the support personnel does not know what to do about it, either, unless documented in WebIV.
And yes - over time and versions, ORA-00600's move to proper messages.

This still leaves the original comment valid: "Something seriously wrong - call support". Dump errors don't occur just like that, afaik.

my 2c, Frank Received on Tue Dec 31 2002 - 09:45:04 CST