Re: Outrage that OCP exams are now unproctored - Comments?

From: Frank <fbortel_at_home.nl>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 16:36:07 +0100

Bert Bear wrote:
> Frank,
>
> WOW! You really took a lot from this first impression.
>
> In my career, I have been a software developer, an end-user, a trainer, a
> team leader, a DBA, systems (IBM VM, Cray UNICOS, and IBM OS/2)
> administrator, planner, customer support, and many other positions. No, I
> don't change jobs often; I just have the ability to do more than one job.
>
> I spent 10 years at Cray Research, where product development is like
> building a Royals Royce. A team takes a product/feature from requirements
> through product release. As the team leader, I had to be able to talk to
> end-users, managers, develop design documents, plan the project, keep track
> of the project, write the code, write the documentation (internal and
> external), unit test, integrate the code, work with system testers, go on
> alpha and beta tests, train the end-users, and finally support the code in
> the field. The product we were working at Cray on covered 8 manuals, dozens
> of design documents, well over 1.25 million lines of IBM 370/390 Assembler
> code, etc. Hell, my team even got a Shell Quality Award for our STK4400 to
> Cray feature.
>
> Actually, I pride myself on being able to wear many hats at the same time.
>
> But I'm sure you still see me missing the ability to shift hats and
> understand a developer or end-user's perspective. Sorry, but I feel you
> don't have the ability to judge people so completely from three paragraphs.
>
> Bert.

You are right - I cannot. Would I have been the author, I would have mentioned my attempt to enlighten this particular manager. He is still in the dark ages. I certainly would have reacted on this stupidity. If it still boils down to the same attitude (no education, databases don't change), I would have come to the same conclusion you did.

Only the fact you did not mention such an attempt triggered me to respond.
No pun intended. I value your contributions to this ng.

Happy 2003! Frank Received on Tue Dec 31 2002 - 09:36:07 CST