Re: Outrage that OCP exams are now unproctored - Comments?

From: Bert Bear <bertbear_at_NOSPAMbertbear.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Jan 2003 03:28:47 GMT

Noons,

At a minimum an OCP shows the person has enough interest in being a DBA to get a rounded Oracle education.

At this point in time, anyone (e.g. an used car salesman) can say hmmm, what might pay better and start calling himself an Oracle DBA.

When I see an used car salesman who passed these test it shows me, that this used car salesman AT LEAST:

  1. Read the manuals (or paid for an Oracle class or two) .vs. the other used car salesman who didn't
  2. Retained enough information to pass the exams
  3. Show enough interest in being an Oracle to take the time to study and pass the exams .vs. the other used car salesman who didn't.

IMHO, an OCP is one of many things you must take into consideration when choosing an employee. It is NOT a golden key to the Oracle DBA washroom.

I can only speak from personal experience. After working with Oracle products (DBA, OAS, Applications, etc.) for 5 years, I found getting the OCP helped me round out my knowledge of the Oracle database. Studying for it helped me cover areas my management never needed me to cover. As one person said (in another thread), management normally upgrades for support (not the new features, which they might never use). He went on to say many software products still only use Oracle 7 features and nothing more. By having an OCP, I know the person has at least an interest beyond saying "I have an interest." He should also have a general, detailed understanding of the Oracle database.

Bertram Moshier
Oracle Certified Professional 8i and 9i DBA

http://www.bmoshier.net/bertram