Re: Running stored procedures/Java code in oracle 8i on AIX

From: Ban Spam <ban-spam_at_operamail.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Jan 2003 01:10:14 GMT

"Computer Person" <xx_at_xx.com> wrote in

> Hi,
>
> We have an application that has been written with a combination of
> Stored procedures and Java code (also in database). When the code is
> launched it apparently runs under the oracle userid so any files that
> the code manipulates has to be accessible to the oracle userid not the
> user who launched the process.
>
> What I am trying to understand is why the code uses the authority of
> the Unix oracle userid to read/write files.
Keep in mind that the stored procedure can get invoked via a webform where there can be NO corresponding "userid" for the individual at the Unix (OS) level. The "only" possible way for you to have the database do as you desire would be to run as "root" an then fork a child process with the desired ownership.

Nothing is impossible for the person who does not have to do it. I challenge you to write an network capable application that would meet your requirements; plus you have to "guarentee" it is secure! Received on Tue Dec 31 2002 - 19:10:14 CST