Re: Outrage that OCP exams are now unproctored - Comments?

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: 30 Dec 2002 19:23:05 -0800

In article <3e109f82$0$227$cc9e4d1f_at_news.dial.pipex.com>, "Niall says...

>"Pete Sharman" <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com> wrote in message
>> Bertram
>>
>> I've stayed out of this discussion until now because I didn't really see
>> anywhere I could add value, but this is something I can help with. Having
>been
>> through the OCM exam, I can tell you it's VERY worthwhile, not to mention
>bloody
>> exhausting!
>
>I'm assuming that you are saying that it s very worthwhile *as an
>educational tool*, as opposed to as a resume enhancing device. I'm sure that
>you are correct, I'm unsure if employers will see it that way.

Just to clarify what I meant, rather than extend the discussion further since it's already just rehashing previous discussions, what I meant was that it is very worthwhile as a tool to PROVE that you can DO the things that are tested for, rather than just being able to answer questions about a topic. You simply can't get through the OCM without a lot of practical experience ergo it's a tool that shows your SKILL as well as your knowledge. That to me is useful as an educational tool and to employers. Very few interviews that I've ever been involved with (on either side) have actually done that.

Pete

>Incidentally if people can get their employers to stump up for the training
>then that is most certainly worthwhile, even if the resulting certification
>leaves much to be desired. For me Oracle education, these newsgroups and the
>docs have been the best education around, and in approximately equal
>measure.
>

>--
>Niall Litchfield
>Oracle DBA
>Audit Commission UK
>Please include version and platform
>and SQL where applicable
>It makes life easier and increases the
>likelihood of a good answer

HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.

Pete

SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements; Received on Mon Dec 30 2002 - 21:23:05 CST