Re: Java to die in 2003

From: Simon Lenn <simonlenn_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 30 Dec 2002 19:45:04 -0800

rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com (Rauf Sarwar) wrote in message news:<92eeeff0.0212301121.44853767_at_posting.google.com>...
> Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com> wrote in message news:<u4r8vmumo.fsf_at_standardandpoors.com>...
> > On 30 Dec 2002, simonlenn_at_yahoo.com wrote:
> >
> > > I personally think Oracle moving from C++ to Java as a
> > > strategic move was not a good idea, already Oracle had an
> > > excellent language in PL/SQL they could have turned that into a
> > > full featured programming language when a hardware boxes
> > > company SUn can do why not the 2nd biggest software company
> > > that oracle cannot do it.
>
> If your flame is with Oracle installer and some of the other tools
> outside of the database built using Java, then I agree with you 100%.
> They suck for lack of a better word.
>
> On the other hand, I don't know what is so terribly wrong with Oracle
> providing integration with Java in the database.
>
> It absolutely does not change the underlying Oracle RDBMS technology
> if you install java in your database or not. It was never Oracle's
> intention to replace PLSQL with java. It's just another (Optional)
> tool to do some complex tasks that PLSQL may not be able to handle as
> well and should *ONLY* be used as a support to PLSQL rather then
> replacing it.
>
> Regards
> /Rauf Sarwar

Hi

I think the track as been lost. If the thread is clearly followed the very fact Oracle supports Java stored procedures is to replace PL/SQL it is clear very clear. The feeling was PL/SQL was proprietary, procedural and not OO and Java was non-proprietary, Open, OO language hence Oracle strategically embraced moving to Java both for inside Database and outside database (read inside database as Stored procedures which was PL/SQL turf).

The way Larry as been sounding appears that all oracle apps as now been rewritten in Java and Oracle is using Java as a strategic development platform within Oracle appears it is a point of no return where Oracle can abandon Java at this stage. Oracle's enterprise platform strategy is Java centric to be more precise.

But what I am proposing is when languages like Perl and PHP are so powerful, performance, portability wise and today with the dawn of web services you can write apps in any language and combine and build an app. The client app does not have to be bothered in what language the server app is written in. Few things that Java provided is all the building blocks needed for a modern language like container, messaging, servlets, applets,etc a company like Oracle could have easily extended PL/SQL and a powerful scripting language like Perl/PHP to deliver a true cross platform open language. To me I still feel that Java is in the stranglehold of Sun. What amuses me is Sun is fighting MS to bundle the Sun JDK to XP, but little people understand IE6 already as a JVM in it how much of it is being used. Every Java developer worth is salt knows where to go and download a free JDK for windows from the funny thing is Sun is fighting wars asking MS to bundle Sun JDK to me it appears foolish all that they will end of doing is create a bigger footprint of the new support package and all these JDKs will lie unused on the XP box. These people (Sun) are totally lost what will make Java a success is not the presence of a free JDK on a Windows PC but what will make Java a success is good development tools like MS Visual studio for VB or Borland Delphi. If they build and provide a free developer kit like that and fix the horror performance of Java and make Java as simple as VB or Delphi only then Developers will flock. Appears they have lost priority they must win the developers hearts and the only way to win developers is to make the language and development tools easy and powerful not spending tonnes of money on corporate lawyers and battling in the courts. Today already Java is more omnipresent considering its pervasive presence on Linux, Unix, Mac, Windows and everything else if people are not using it Sun cannot blame MS they must really find out why people are not using it.

Otherwise court battles will make support packs bigger but will never increase the market share or mind share if they do not accept it Java will die a silent death. The market will think Java rode the dot com bubble and dot com bubble is dead and so will Java this is the sad reality.

Simon Received on Mon Dec 30 2002 - 21:45:04 CST