Re: Outrage that OCP exams are now unproctored - Comments?

From: Frank <fbortel_at_home.nl>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 22:26:44 +0100

Bert Bear wrote:
> Daniel,
>
> During a recent interview, I had a chance to ask questions. I always ask
> about continuing education (e.g. time to study areas not covered by the job,
> next release, Usenet newsgroup, Oracle classes, etc.), writing papers, and
> attending Oracle conferences.
>
> The manager looked at me and replied, "I've been doing databases for over
> 15 years, Oracle, MS-SQL Server, SAP, PeopleSoft, IBM DB2, etc., and I
> learned one thing. Database don't change. There is nothing more than four
> things in a database, INSERT, DELETE, UPDATE, and" By this point, I was
> tuning him out and making a not so positive opinion. It was obvious to him
> training and staying current is not important.
>
> I decided pass on this permanent opportunity.
>
> Bertram Moshier
> Oracle Certified Professional 8i and 9i DBA
>
> http://www.bmoshier.net/bertram

I wouldn't hire you... You seem to miss the ability to shift hats and be seated on a developers' or users' chair. I value that - the manager interviewing you was obviously looking at it from a developers' point of view, and he's is right... to some extent (or extend? initial extent... extend management... oh heck), of course there are beautiful things like the returning clause on in insert. Anyway - I would have applauded an effort to convince the hiring manager that database Administration (you were applying for a DBA's job, weren't you?) has changed massively the last 15 years. For Oracle, at least, can't comment on SQL Server (didn't exist 15 years back...). And yes the captial A on Administration is not a typo; is more a chapeau to all real DBA's out there.

Grtz, Frank (who is sometimes regarded a DBA, but reading these ng's is always reminded he isn't - and I admit it) Received on Mon Dec 30 2002 - 15:26:44 CST