Re: Java to die in 2003

From: Rauf Sarwar <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 30 Dec 2002 11:21:30 -0800

Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com> wrote in message news:<u4r8vmumo.fsf_at_standardandpoors.com>...
> On 30 Dec 2002, simonlenn_at_yahoo.com wrote:
>
> > I personally think Oracle moving from C++ to Java as a
> > strategic move was not a good idea, already Oracle had an
> > excellent language in PL/SQL they could have turned that into a
> > full featured programming language when a hardware boxes
> > company SUn can do why not the 2nd biggest software company
> > that oracle cannot do it.

If your flame is with Oracle installer and some of the other tools outside of the database built using Java, then I agree with you 100%. They suck for lack of a better word.

On the other hand, I don't know what is so terribly wrong with Oracle providing integration with Java in the database.

It absolutely does not change the underlying Oracle RDBMS technology if you install java in your database or not. It was never Oracle's intention to replace PLSQL with java. It's just another (Optional) tool to do some complex tasks that PLSQL may not be able to handle as well and should *ONLY* be used as a support to PLSQL rather then replacing it.

Regards
/Rauf Sarwar Received on Mon Dec 30 2002 - 13:21:30 CST