Re: Outrage that OCP exams are now unproctored - Comments?

From: Daniel Roy <danielroy10_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 30 Dec 2002 08:44:33 -0800

I sort of agree with people who say that going through OCP is a waste of money/time/..., but I've seen cases when speaking to "DBAs" that the only thought going through my mind was "should I tell them to become certified, so that they at least knew some basic concepts?". I know that there are some great DBAs out there who are not certified, have never been, and will never be (we have some good examples among this newsgroup participants). But there are others who are not certified who clearly would benefit from going through the process. I think getting certified is a great way of knowing what's possible with Oracle, but generally without having to know in details HOW to do it. I should also add that the study material also only displays one side of the story, as Oracle's material will (almost) never discuss the caveats/limitations of their products, and they put the emphasis on the products they're trying to "push" (i.e. RMAN and Data Guard), even if these products are not used that much. Even with these certification's limitations, I still think it's useful. But I agree that someone being certified does not guarantee a high degree of competency necessarily (just look at these exam crams books, which are probably sufficient to succeed the exams). I think that people who say that the certification is useless have the chance to have worked with non-certified DBAs who knew well their stuff. But trust me, if you saw some of the DBAs I worked with (and had to rely on since they had the DBA title besides their name and the system password, and I didn't), you would agree with me.

Just my 2 cents

Daniel
OCP 8i Received on Mon Dec 30 2002 - 10:44:33 CST