Re: Java to die in 2003

From: Simon Lenn <simonlenn_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 30 Dec 2002 05:02:30 -0800

I agree with the person whoever started this thread that Java's death is imminent. I am surprised that Oracle choose such a bad platform. To prove this point I give some simple instances if any of you still have a Oracle 8.0.4/8.0.5/8.0.6 CD around install it on a clean Pentium II 450 Mhz 128 MB RAM NT workstation Oracle works like a dream. Try installing Oracle 8i or 9i on even a NT Server with 256 MB RAM running Pentium IV it sucks from the installer, configuration and management tools are all built using Java look at the memory footprints of the tools and the amount of time it takes to start. I have tried several things eliminated all MS JVM put a Oracle JVM and Sun's one Hotspot it sucks with all of them.

About a year back on a Solaris machine we built a simple JDBC application the memory footprints of these are just amazing. The whole concept of the bloody JVM exercising control on the application is the cause of all Java problems. Imagine a J2EE application you have a J2EE container that as to host a Java Bean and the J2EE container runs on the JVM each action on the bean is controlled by the container and each call of the container is to the JVM and JVM talks to OS. No wonder Sun is giving away Java free the ploy it guzzles so much of hardware resources they though they can make a tonne of money selling Sun Servers.

I personally think Oracle moving from C++ to Java as a strategic move was not a good idea, already Oracle had an excellent language in PL/SQL they could have turned that into a full featured programming language when a hardware boxes company SUn can do why not the 2nd biggest software company that oracle cannot do it. I have seen so many benchmarks running a J2EE app to a Perl application Perl does a much better job. In terms of rapid application development and deployment I would still say Visual Basic and Delphi nothing to beat. The best among the two I like is Delphi you can build a Client/Server, Internet app, web service or a Win 32 application so elegantly. I still recollect 14 years back programming on a Turbo Pascal compiler I was able to code more than an average of 2000 lines of code per day this was an era without OO and Wizards. Today we have wizards, RAD and OO whereas all the productivity gone. I guess it is here that Borland needs a IBM or MSFT to sell a product like Delphi. Delphi the big brother of Turbo Pascal can do all that Java can do only much easier, faster and cheaper what is missing for it is backing of somebody like IBM, MSFT or Oracle. If one wants to build a web service, a Corba Server or a Corba IIOP client it is a breeze to do it in Delphi try in C++, Java you need a barrel of Coffee. But perhaps it is the irony of the fact good technology alone is not sufficient to make a product successful. The whole Java architecture itself if flawed it is now well into more than 7 years and IBM, Oracle have not still resolved Java's performance challenges and expect the world to blindly embrace Java. People seem to jump on roof top and compare Java to .Net it is amazing people have not done a simple comparison of a app written in Java to a app in C++, Delphi or Perl.

Simon