Re: Outrage that OCP exams are now unproctored - Comments?

From: Nick <nick_hobbs_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 30 Dec 2002 03:55:12 -0800

Let's face it guys OCP is worthless to employers and does a disservice to those who think of it as a qualification.

Speaking as one who is in the process of doing the OCP, I believe it's only value is as a curriculum for a foundation course. In current times, I'd need an Uzi as a negotating tool to extract training from my current employer so this provides me with a predefined structure for self study.

Personally, I don't intend to advertise the "credential" unless a post specifically requires it and even then I'd be asking some pretty searching questions as to why the employer considers it so vital.

I certainly will not be taken any upgrades to the certification (unless an employer pays for it and gives study leave... beach days :-)). I consider it utterly reprehensible but commercially understandable of Oracle to tout the certification as a method of "establishing a standard of competence" and that "hiring certified professionals has a direct impact on a company's bottom line". Give me a break! In the UK, they should be sued under the Trades Description Act.

Happy New year

Nick