Re: 817 client installation on w2k

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_nospam.demon.nl>
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2002 23:27:58 +0100

On Sun, 29 Dec 2002 12:22:49 +0000, "P. Bianchi" <ppbianchi__at_virgilio.it> wrote:

>Ronald Rood wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 24 Dec 2002 12:32:08 +0100, Kamal wrote
>
>>> I've downloaded the client version of oracle 817 from OTN, and
>>> unzipped on a w2k with service pack 3. But, unfortunately, the
>>> installation executable just doesn't start.
>
>same happened to me (P4, Windows ME)
>
>> Easiest solution: get the universal installer that comes with 9i. (2.2)
>> and use that for the installation. The version on the 8.1.7 cd does noet
>> like P4 and xeon chips.
>
>This makes the installation start, but when it comes to post installation
>(net8 configuration etc) and it passes control to the net8 executables,
>these fail again. Thus, failure is simply postponed. :-(
>
>Ciao
>B.

You aren't running Microsux Terminal Server, by any chance? Oracle has a BEQueath net8 protocol which doesn't work on Terminal Server. As this is the only piece of software not supporting BEQ (VNC, PCnaywhere, etc don't have problems) Oracle doesn't seem to have plans to resolve this issue.
If you have a valid tnsnames.ora and sqlnet.ora on the server you can just copy them to the client %ORACLE_HOME%\network\admin directory.

Hth

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Sun Dec 29 2002 - 16:27:58 CST