Re: Outrage that OCP exams are now unproctored - Comments?

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 28 Dec 2002 16:15:10 -0800

DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message news:<3E0B2C23.7257344B_at_exesolutions.com>...
> michael ngong wrote:
>
> > I do not think OCP is as "worthless" as some of our respected
> > contributors in this forum are trying to paint it.
> > I am not sure what some people expect OCP,s to do.Get in and
> > solve every problem or answer all questions which are oracle related?
> > Just like other diplomas and every work of life, some people come out
> > without a lot to offer while others come out with the feel of some
> > one who has been working for a while.Some need a lot of training but
> > others seem to be ready to go.But the bottom line is you know at least
> > on a theoretical bases ( assuming
> > you read books exclusively in preparation for the tests )some very
> > useful information about Oracle.
> > "Worthless" therefore is not the proper word
> > Michael Tubuo Ngong
>
> I expect the OCP to be the equivalent in Oracle to the medical exam taken
> by a physician or the State Bar exam taken by attorney's or the pharmacy
> board exams taken by pharmacists. I expect them to be capable of
> distinguishing between those with book knowledge (no actual or practical
> experience) and those that can actually do that job.
>
> From that standpoint the OCP doesn't cut it. After you graduate from a
> university you an employer can phone the university and verify you
> attended and your graduation. Call Oracle after you pass the OCP and try
> to verify that they've ever heard your name before.

So how about "Oracle Masters?" Making lemonade out of the OCP lemon, or big revenue stream for Oracle?

> And the above is why, at the University of Washington, our curriculum is
> intentionally not basedon the OCP but rather is based on actual
> application development using applications built for AT&T and Boeing as
> models. We want our students to be able to do the work ... not just
> answer multiple choice questions about obscure things that no-one
> actually uses or does.

So you are a mill... just like the course I took in '80, feeding COBOL clones to the aircraft industry. Fortunately I jumped at the opportunity to do online work with databases (relational within a few months) and didn't actually deal with that stick-in-the-mud industry for nearly two decades - even now Oracle is relatively new in some places (or worse, stuff from the COBOL era grafted on to Oracle). They _need_ OCP style certs that work.

> Daniel Morgan

jg

--
@home is bogus.  "New claims for unemployment benefits fell last week
by the largest number in more than a year... The four-week moving