Re: Java to die in 2003

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-down_with_spammers_at_attbi.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2002 16:19:22 GMT

I think the point Stu and Nuno were trying to make is that J2EE itself isn't a bad technology. One of the problems is that inexperienced programmers are making the whole thing much more complicated than it needs to be. Why? They are inexperienced. So a company run by a bean counter hires them because they will work cheap and long hours (inexperience) and they are blindly applying something that has an "official" or "guru" label on it. (eg "code must be database independent" You pay maybe tens of thousands of dollars or more for a technology and then don't take advantage of it - plain stupid.)

Your best bet is to become experienced. To remember that no matter what the "new" technology is that some form or concept of it has been around before and to learn from others past mistakes and experience. Not academic experience but real world business experience. For example, my wife makes jewelry from scratch. At one place she worked they hired a college grad right out of school. Very nice woman, hard working, got straight A's in Jewelry making, but she was used to taking 3 months to finish a piece. They can't pay for work to come out every 3 months. So my wife took her aside and showed her the tricks. (only use enough gold solder to put it together; you have less to clean up - to hide the seam - and it is stronger - less working on the metal- etc.) It took her about a month or two until she was very productive. Point being the academic world can give you the basics but often (not always) does not give you the practical. Those teachers had never worked in a business environment. (There are consultants that do also give classes at schools and in those cases I would be inclined to listen carefully to what they said due to their real world experiences.)

Jim