Re: Outrage that OCP exams are now unproctored - Comments?

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2002 14:56:29 -0000

"Steve Jorgensen" <nospam_at_nospam.nospam> wrote in message news:0mbm0v43nkmgmmo53u0dptab99avkdjnn5_at_4ax.com...
> Right, but my statement was about certification in the projuct along
> with experience in the industry. I expect my experience to show I
> know what I'm doing and my certification to show that I've learned the
> specifics of Oracle as well. I wouldn't expect Oracle certification
> to be useful by itself, but I would have thought it would go a long
> way when combined with industry experience. It should at least show I
> had to study the material myself without the question that I could
> easily have cheated.

I agree Steve. At the very least it should get you the interview. I have two hesitations

  1. OCP doesn't show tnat you have learned all the specifics but that you have a broad overview of how Oracle works. It's kind of an entry level thing.
  2. Even given the above it is possible to gain the OCP with great glaring weaknesses. To pick an example from someone whose certificates are close at hand <g>.

Multi-Threaded server Usage and Configuration 4 out of 9. Connection Manager Usage and Configuration 1 out of 5.

Both of those subject areas could be somewhat important. We don't use them and I was doing the exam with a hangover anyway.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA