Re: Outrage that OCP exams are now unproctored - Comments?

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 15:49:34 +1100

Fri, 27 Dec 2002 03:13:10 GMT, Joe said (and I quote):

> I think the process is very worthwhile. At least I got a feeling what
> Oracle 9i will provide other than 8i.

What exactly does it provide? The two examples you quoted are also available in 8i...

See? This is what I mean by being trained for the specifics of one particular version.
You are not learning ANYTHING to do with relational database or its use. You are learning the specifics of one version of a piece of software. And assuming that what you have been told is part of 9i is the be-all- and-end-all of Oracle.
Wrong.

> they do not have to. Your boss will not blame you for not using something
> he himself does not even know that exists.

Your boss will never blame you for anything technical. It has *nothing* to do with the relative value of OCP or any other technical "certification".
And if he/she thinks that it's good value to send you on a 9i OCP to learn the specifics of 9i instead of just putting you through one of Oracle's "Differences" courses...

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto