Re: autocommit ON but no commits visible in v$sqlarea

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-down_with_spammers_at_attbi.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 03:02:10 GMT

To the database autocommit and committing after every statement is the same thing. (Oracle, the database, does NOT have an autocommit mode, the the driver or the client software is issuing a commit statement after each statement.) Probably should have clarified that.

By committing more often than you have to you potentially slow things down. A commit forces the log buffer to flush (even if it isn't full) and you have to wait for the write. So if all the connections are doing this then the log buffer is flushed to disk before it gets full and you are wasting buffer. Think of in C doing a flush on every character you write to a file. Not as fast as writing say 32k out at a time. Same basic concept.

Jim