Re: Outrage that OCP exams are now unproctored - Comments?

From: Steve Jorgensen <nospam_at_nospam.nospam>
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2002 16:30:34 GMT

On Thu, 26 Dec 2002 08:15:27 -0800, DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote:

>"Howard J. Rogers" wrote:
>
>> "Steve Jorgensen" <nospam_at_nospam.nospam> wrote in message

>> > Worthless to whom?
>>
>> To the industry.
>>
>> Employers worth working for know it's a heap of doo-dah. Employers who think
>> it means something aren't worth working for.
>>
>> Regards
>> HJR
>>

>> > I'm someone with extensive background in MS SQL Server. In my case,
>> > shouldn't Oracle certification show that I've learned the specifics of
>> > Oracle, and thus be of great value in conjunction with my long
>> > background in relational databases when I apply for a job using
>> > Oracle? To me, the Oracle exam as it has stood until now sounded
>> > worthwhile, and this unproctored thing is bothersome to me as I have
>> > yet to take the exams and obtain my certification.
>
>Exactly. Just like the Microsoft exams. People that pass the exams can't
>necessarily do the job. And people that can do the job can't necessarily pass
>the exams (because too often the official answers are wrong or not mutually
>exclusive or test complete irrelevancies).
>
>Daniel Morgan

Right, but my statement was about certification in the projuct along with experience in the industry. I expect my experience to show I know what I'm doing and my certification to show that I've learned the specifics of Oracle as well. I wouldn't expect Oracle certification to be useful by itself, but I would have thought it would go a long way when combined with industry experience. It should at least show I had to study the material myself without the question that I could easily have cheated. Received on Thu Dec 26 2002 - 10:30:34 CST