Re: Outrage that OCP exams are now unproctored - Comments?

From: Steve Jorgensen <nospam_at_nospam.nospam>
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2002 10:09:55 GMT

On Wed, 25 Dec 2002 19:23:41 -0000, "Paul Brewer" <paul_at_paul.brewers.org.uk> wrote:

>"Don Burleson" <don_at_burleson.cc> wrote in message
>> Greetings,
>>
>> I have heard a rumor that the Oracle9i OCP SQL exam is unproctored:
>>
>> "The new exam is un-proctored, meaning that you can take the exam
>> unsupervised at your own location. If you do not have good internet
>> access, proctored exams are delivered in a secure testing environment,
>> at an Oracle University Training Center or Authorized Prometric
>> Testing Center."
>>
>> Because there is no guarantee that the person taking the exam is the
>> same person who registered for the exam, many DBAs feel that this
>> practice degrades the value of Oracle certification, and makes it even
>> more worthless than before.
>>
>> Comments?
>
>You can't devalue something which was worthless in the first place.
>
>Regards,
>Paul

Worthless to whom?

I'm someone with extensive background in MS SQL Server. In my case, shouldn't Oracle certification show that I've learned the specifics of Oracle, and thus be of great value in conjunction with my long background in relational databases when I apply for a job using Oracle? To me, the Oracle exam as it has stood until now sounded worthwhile, and this unproctored thing is bothersome to me as I have yet to take the exams and obtain my certification. Received on Thu Dec 26 2002 - 04:09:55 CST