Tricky Dynamic SQL question

From: Ryan Gaffuri <rgaffuri_at_cox.net>
Date: 24 Dec 2002 12:04:41 -0800

Im new to this project and its in rapid development so there is little or no documentation so please bare with me.

We have supertype tables that keep logs of a variety of different tables. I have a function. So a record in a specific supertype table will tell you when a specific subtype table is being used.

I have a function(that I didnt write) that I call earlier in the procedure, that tells me which table I need to use.

I have a requirement where I need to dynamically select all columns in this table and put it into a record.

Problem is how to define my record? I cant anchor it to the variable that contains tablename? My record will need to be dynamic because the columns in
one table are different than in others.

Also, I thought of using USER_TAB_COLUMNS and passing them into variables, but there are not always the same number of columns in each table.

rec_tableName v_TableName%ROWTYPE;
The above anchoring does not work.

Any ideas how to do this? Im stumped.

  EXECUTE IMMEDIATE
' SELECT * ' ||
' INTO ' || v_Table ' ||
' FROM ' || v_tableName ||
' WHERE PRIM_ID = ' || rec_record.prim_id ||
        ' AND PRIM_SEQ = ' || rec_record.prim_seq); Received on Tue Dec 24 2002 - 14:04:41 CST