Re: Inactive sessions

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2002 17:42:05 GMT

"Jayaraman Ashok" <ashok_jayaraman_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:7ca2852.0212232059.5a60b3a1_at_posting.google.com...
> Hi
> The setup is Oracle 8.1.6.3.0 on Aix 4.3.3 running 11i applications.
> The application server is another rs/6000 running Aix 4.3.3 , where
> all the forms and reports are installed.
> Now the client connections are made either through the browser
> directly
> (self service modules like HR) and through the forms. The former type
> is the JDBC thin client connection.
> Now numerous sessions keep running on the database server even after
> the client has disconnected. There are many sessions with 'INACTIVE'
> status. I have set sqlnet.expire_time=10 in my sqlnet.ora. But i feel
> that the resources held by such sessions are not released. How to
> tackle this situation? If the client closes his browser or forms
> session abnormally, the shadow process on the server side should be
> killed.
>
> Cheers,
> Ashok

This behavior is very common with application servers. They (usually) maintain a "connection pool" so that the next application can grab any available member. The pool issues network "keep alive" messages every so often to maintain the connection, but these don't count as active sessions. They're active from a network standpoint, which is why they don't time out (or if they do, the application server immediately re-establishes the connection to maintain the pool count). Received on Tue Dec 24 2002 - 11:42:05 CST