Re: Redo Log Question

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: 24 Dec 2002 07:05:07 -0600

On Tue, 24 Dec 2002, burtpelt_at_bellsouth.net wrote:

> "Galen Boyer" <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com> wrote in message
>

>> On 23 Dec 2002, burtpelt_at_bellsouth.net wrote:
>>
>> > Just because you aren't face-to-face, you think you can
>> > insult anyone?
>>
>> Okay, walk into a large Oracle users forum and offer up
>> incorrect advice.  Then, start crying that people are
>> insulting you when others in that forum shoot your advice
>> down.  What do you think the people in that room are going to
>> think of you?  Well, that is what's happening in this forum,
>> and this is a true professional forum (which seemed to have
>> been lost on you).  If you were to get off your "I'm a 10 year
>> DBA and I have loads of real-world experience and you can't
>> possibly know anything about real Oracle administration" high
>> horse you might find out how little you know by finding out
>> how much you can learn from some of the best in the world.
>>
>> So what your thoughts just got shot down?  Consider it an
>> opportunity to regroup and learn what you've been doing
>> incorrectly up until now.  You obviously have been working in
>> Oracle for awhile.  Why not get better at it?
>>

> I seriously doubt that anyone in an audience would use the
> terms "You actually haven't got a clue, have you?" .

If someone proclaimed loudly while incorrectly, like you did, yes, that would be an appropriate response. Then, as you came back with, "your attitude sucks and your rude", I would just pass you a bigger shovel so you can finish your whole more quickly.

> I certainly wouldn't be that rude to someone in front of an
> audience.

But, you would proclaim loudly how much and long you've been working with Oracle to back up your incorrect technical assessments?

> I always learn from things such as this conversation and yes I
> have a different view on mirroring/multiplexing that could
> influence future server setups.

It seems that you have incorrect views.

> Actually, a bigger learning for me was to never say "Oracle
> recommends", without also providing some kind of supporting
> proof first.
>
> Where did you get the impression "high horse" . I only put my
> experience comments in after the first comments (like the clue
> comment) were posted .

That's the problem, you tried to preface your defending arguments with your experience level, as though that meant you had to be correct.

--
Galen Boyer