Re: Redo Log Question

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2002 17:16:38 +1100

Mistakes we all make. Me just as much as anyone (see posts passim).

Statements from the Gospel with the Authority of il Papa which turn out to be nothing more than a bunch of garbage, a different matter, I think.

Put it this way: we have both dealt with students who are denser than Osmium. Do I criticise them for that? Nope. I spend more time with them as a result. It's not their fault, and we hope they'll learn, and I do my damndest to make sure they do. But if I knew nothing about X, would I go on a newsgroup and proclaim I knew all about X? Would I set out to mislead newbies that my way was correct? Nope.

Check out Google for my name and SQL Server, as a for-example.

This guy didn't make a mistake. He made an error, and when that was pointed out to him, complained about the attitude of the person pointing his error out to him. And then proceeded to duck and weave, as though clinging on to a soupçon on truth in a miasma of error. Mistakes you back out from. Wilful ignorance you cling on to for grim death.

Wilful ignorance I won't put up with. In the classroom as much as here.

But whatever: Merry Christmas to you and yours. And I know you need to be handled carefully. I saw you after the last Xmas party, remember!!

HJR "Richard Foote" <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com> wrote in message news:8wSN9.9171$jM5.25781_at_newsfeeds.bigpond.com...
> Hi Howard,
>
> The next time I make a mistake (which won't be too long I'm sure), please
be
> gentle.
>
> I'm very fragile and need to be handled carefully.
>
> Please ;)
>
> Merry Xmas !!
>
> Richard
> "Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message

> > > Today has been a busy day, but I had to comment one more time...
> > >
> > > You still have an attitude problem. And, you don't consider the above
> > > comment an insult ?
> > >

> > No I don't. If you've been managing a database for 10 years based on the
> > level of knowledge you've exhibited in this thread, then I fear for your
> > database.
> >
> > No: a personal insult would be saying things like 'your attitude sucks'.
> >
> > You know, personal stuff. Based on no knowledge of the person concerned,
> but
> > just because you happen to disagree with the person involved.
> >
> > The only comments I have passed have been based on your demonstrated
> > knowledge of a subject on which you thought yourself fit to comment.
> >
> > > If in your opinion, I said 1 thing in error, then does that mean I do
> > > my job badly ? You have no idea.
> > >

> > You said, without qualification, that Oracle recommended X when actually
> it
> > recommended Y. I pointed that out to you. You at that point had the
chance
> > to say 'my mistake, I'm sorry, thanks for the enlightenment'. But no.
You
> [...]
prevent
> > problem. A single write mirrored by the OS or multiple LGWR writes. It's
> > question of probabilities, and the answer isn't hard to come by.

> and
> support)

> > > See above comment.

> > member

> > 2nd

> > mirroring

> complementary,
> > but

> paranoid
> all

> > data by
> > > >

> > > Maybe my attitude on Oracle mirroring/multiplexing could use an
> > > update.
> >
> > It certainly could.
> >
> > >As I said above, I lost all faith in Oracle mirroring during
> > > the recover mentioned above.
> > >

> > It's not even called 'Oracle mirroring". It's called multiplexing.
> > Precision, dear. Precision.

> the

> about
> > > >

> > > You mentioned first "Thus speaks an Oracle instructor" . I was only
> > > pointing out that doesn't always guarantee it.
> >
> > Do your research, then. This Oracle instructor has been posting
regularly
> > this newsgroup for 3 years. He's learnt lots, and corrected himself more
> > than a few times. But can't stand idiots posting utter bullshit on
things
> he
> > actually knows something about.

> heck

> of
> multiplexing

> that

> > > Oracle6 Introduction
> > > Oracle6 DBA I
> > > Oracle6 DBA II
> > > Oracle6 CASE Tailored Class
> > > Oracle7 DBA I
> > > Oracle7 DBA II
> > > Oracle7 Application Tuning
> > > Oracle7 Server Tuning
> > > Oracle8+8i New Features for DBAs
> > >
> > > Ok, so only 9. I suppose I was thinking of all the Unix type classes
> > > like Bourne programming, Pro*C, etc. .
> > >

> > "Of course, that is just one in my 10 to 15 classes on Oracle".
> >
> > "Ok, so only 9".
> >
> > Come off it. Post facts, please. Be precise, factual and accurate. 10 to
> 15
> > suddenly becomes 9?????
> >
> > And you have the gall to question MY attitude?

> > have

> > > Yeah, this appears to be the latest.
> >
> > It doesn't appear to be the latest. It *is* the latest.
> >
> > [snip]

> start

> > > Yeah, don't make the log too small right ? Of course, clean up after
> > > backing up twice too.
> > >

> > Don't be ridiculous. Clean up when it is suitable to 'clean up' if by
> 'clean
> > up' you mean deleting archive logs. I sincerely hope you don't think
that
> > because you've backed up twice you can delete all prior archives without

FAST_START_IO_TARGET,