Re: Copy Database from NT to W2K

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 19:21:01 +0100

"Giuseppe" <giuseppe.didodo_at_bluewin.ch> wrote in message news:df5fda08.0212230626.499cd4a1_at_posting.google.com... > "Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:<v0drid7pfnp537_at_corp.supernews.com>...
> > "Giuseppe" <giuseppe.didodo_at_bluewin.ch> wrote in message
> > > Hi, I have a question and maybe someone can help. We installed Oracle
> > > 7.3.3 on Windows NT, patched it to 7.3.4, then upgraded and migrated
> > > it till 8.1.7.4, still under NT. We saved the files, cleaned the
> > > machine and installed Windows W2K, because an upgrade fo Windows NT to
> > > W2K always crashed.
> > >
> > > After the installation of W2K, we installed Oracle 8.1.7.4. We deleted
> > > this datafiles and moved the datafiles under it, which we created on
> > > NT. We can mount the db, but at the open it crashes with ora-01092. I
> > > tried everything like 'recover... backup controlfiles' or 'recover
> > > until...', still the same.
> > >
> > > I think that basically the files from NT to W2K are not compatible,
> > > even if they're NTFS, I think something in NTFS changed between NT and
> > > W2K, but if we would migrate the OS, we wouldn't have a problem.
> > >
> > > Can somebody agree to this ?
> > This is simply NOT true
> >
> > or give me a hint ?
> >
> > Please look in the alert log for further error messages.
> > If you moved files you should have recreated the controlfile, which you
most
> > likely didn't. Your BIG BANG scenario was hence doomed to fail.
> >
> > We really don't know
> > > what to do. We didn't want to do export/import to save time, DB is
> > > 95G.
> >

> > Most likely tables and indexes and indexes are not exported.
> > I also have the feeling you are describing from memory. You should post
the
> > *exact* steps. Currently, there a no clues to work on.

> What you meant 'it's not true ?'. Ok, here the complete story:
>
> We went to a customer and took his datafiles, incl. control-files,
> init.ora and so on. The customer had NT4, and 7.3.4. Before we left,
> we did a 'alter database backup controlfile to trace' -> x.sql.  We
> installed our machine with NT4 and 7.3.3. We patched to 7.3.4, then we
> deleted all the datafiles and put the ones from the customer
> underneath.
>
> We edited x.sql and changed the new pathes and took the line 'Recover
> database using backup controlfile' out of the script. We started the
> script which ends with 'alter database open resetlogs'. It worked
> under NT4, 7.3.4, great !
>
> We migrated this db all way up to 8.1.7.4 (8.1.6, 8.1.6.1, 8.1.7,
> 8.1.7.1 and finally 8.1.7.4). The DB still worked fine, now with NT4
> and 8.1.7.4. Before we left, we did a 'alter database backup
> controlfile to trace' -> y.sql.
>
> Now we wanted to upgrade the machine to W2K which always failed
> because of a driver for the controller. After several attempts we
> deleted the machine and instead of doing an upgrade we did a new
> installation of W2K. Then we installed Oracle DB 8.1.7 -> 8.1.7.1 ->
> 8.1.7.4. So, at this point we now deleted the new datafiles and wanted
> to put the migrated customer Files underneath.

> [...]

Guess this was to be expected, as not following the steps in the script resulting from using alter database backup controlfile to trace is one of the safest ways to get you into trouble.

Whenever a database restarts a checkpoint occurs, and this might result in a logfile switch (it usually does) which is exactly what happened in your case.
Logsequence 50 is in one of your online redolog files, you can find out which by querying v$log and v$archived_log (database only needs to be in *mount* mode for this, and that should work) You could try to supply the name of the online redolog instead of the archive, got me out at least once.

Other than that, part of your problem is you really *should* use 'using backup controlfile' in your case, because you *did* regenerate the controlfile, and it is being considered as coming from a backup. If you leave out this clause the database open will fail on inconsistencies between the datafile headers and the controlfile.

Hth

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA

BTW Although Microsucks is expert at designing incompatible systems
(remember the nightmare transition from Winsocks 1 to Win*sucks* 2, which
was made in NT4 suffer pack 3), files definitely *are* compatible between
win2k and nt4. Please just fire up the properties of 'My computer' once, and
you'll see your O/S is listed as NT 5.0... (Which is of course exactly what
it is, the 2000 being marketing)