Re: What should be the Database Design in this case?

From: Rudy <RudyFernandes_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 23 Dec 2002 06:18:59 -0800

"Puneet Agarwal" <puneet_at_daffodilwoods.com> wrote in message news:<aso5dj$shs40$1_at_ID-99266.news.dfncis.de>...
> Hi All!
>
> I've been stuck with this issue and could not find any answers. I am
> designing the database for a School Information System. I've the following
> tables:

I'm against the arbitrary Id column in CourseExams and CourseSubjects because :

  1. You still need uniqueness enforced on the other 2 columns (CourseId & ExamId/SubjectId).
  2. Its not like they are huge columns which need conversion into a small identifier (for children FKs)

Given the above, Solution b goes out the window :)

Rudy Received on Mon Dec 23 2002 - 08:18:59 CST