Re: Can I make multiple schemas from one user?

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 10:08:43 +1100

"Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:27NM9.7397$jM5.20060_at_newsfeeds.bigpond.com...
> Since a schema *is* a user, the answer is no.
>
> A schema is merely a collection of objects owned by a user, so if EMP is
> owned by SCOTT and DEPT by MARY, then you have two objects, in two
schemas,
> and there happen to be two users.
>
> It is true that MARY could issue the command 'create table scott.emp' (she
> needs the Create ANY table privilege' to do so), and in that sense you've
> got one user creating things in two schemas. But you'd need to create a
user
> SCOTT before she could do it, and the EMP table still ends up being
created
> in SCOTT's schema.
>
> So you still end up with number of schemas=number of users (except that
you
> might also have users that merely use objects in other people's schemas
and
> never create any of their own, in which case number of schemas>number of
> users).

I knew my maths was bad, but even I can get an inequality sign the right way round on an alternate Thursday with a following wind. That should have read, of course, "...in which case number of schemas<number of users".

Close, I suppose.

"I can't see who's in the lead, but it's either Oxford or Cambridge".

Regards
HJR