Re: Problem using 1 listener for 2 databases

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 20 Dec 2002 15:05:50 -0800

Chucky <chuck.carson_at_syrrx.com> wrote in message news:<3E03337F.7020403_at_syrrx.com>...
> We have an emergency and had to restore 2 databases to the same machine
> and are running them under the same installation but different instances.
>
> I configured the listener to point to both service names and everything
> looks okay. Oracle support has also looked at the listener.ora and
> agreed. However, we are unable to connect to one of the databases.
>
> Enter password:
> ERROR:
> ORA-12541: TNS:no listener
>
> tnsping does the same thing. This new database has taken over the old
> databases IP address, and the old machine is not in service, so there is
> no IP conflict. No changes have been made to any clients system, as
> should be.

I'm a bit confused. You say both the instances were on the same machine before or not? If not, you need to change the clients, they are looking at a machine that doesn't have a listener running. If so, why did you change the listener? Did it previously have/require a set listener command to start up a second listener?

That error indicates the listener is not running. Which version are you running (we can guess the server is 8i on some sort of unix box, what are the clients?)? If 8i, remove the sid list and let the listener do its own discovery. What is the result of "lsnrctl services"? Are you able to connect locally?

Do you have port conflicts? Are there firewalls involved? MTS? FIN_WAIT_2 from a netstat -a?

Are you sure the global dbnames and everything in your tns files match up to the listener? Are you using tns files? Do you know which one? Have you changed global or dbname parameters in your init.ora? Is your names.directory_path set right? Did you lose an onames server? Did you change Oracle version numbers or patch numbers? Is NAMES.DEFAULT_DOMAIN set to WORLD? Are you using TCP? Did you change anything in between the clients and the server? Are you sure the disaster didn't screw up routers? Does tracert or traceroute make it?

Has Oracle support asked you to turn on tracing on clients or servers?  What's in those sqlnet.ora files?